The Southwestern Ontario Scale Model Expo was a tremendous success.
There were 600 attendees, more than double the previous show. The vendor room was overflowing. There were 416 models in competition, up from 250 in 2016. Participants hailed from Southwestern and Central Ontario, Eastern Michigan and Eastern New York State.
Thanks to everyone who volunteered for specific activities during the day – Admissions, Contest Entries, Judging, Photography, Raffle Table, Security, etc.
As the September club meeting was held only a few days after the show, members were able to offer suggestions and make decisions regarding the next show.
- We will continue with biannual shows, alternating with IPMS Ottawa. The next show will be September 2020.
- Saturday is preferred over Sunday. We will also book the hall for Friday evening set-up.
- We will book the meeting rooms as well as the gymnasiums. There are plenty of suggestions for use of the additional space. It will be up to the committee to decide how the rooms will be used.
- We will look to swapping the Contest and Vendor sides of the hall.
- We will beef up the signage both inside and outside the hall. In particular, we need to help competitors with their entry forms and locations of the various classes on the tables.
- We will choose a Show Committee in January 2019. We’ll be looking for a Show Chairman, Chief Judge, and Heads of Sponsorship and Publicity.
We would like to put together a Club Shirt Order in October/November for delivery by Christmas. Geoff Heyland is coordinating.
There were a wide variety of interesting subjects on the Show and Tell tables this month as you’ll see in the photos.
Our next meeting will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 17th, from 7 to 9 pm, at Beacock Public Library, 1280 Huron St., London, Ontario, N5Y4M2. We’ll do a post-mortem of the big show and make some decisions about our next Expo. Parking is available at the branch. Overflow parking is available at the Salvation Army next door. (Map)